We’re honoring Black History Month in February and all year long with our friends at Little Free Diverse Libraries! Our newest reading list is a collection of books curated for your little ones to take an inspiring look back at Black history and an encouraging look forward at Black futures.
Even the youngest readers can learn the importance of these stories and celebrate the lives of those who have made an impact on history. Follow along with pilot Bessie Coleman, mathematician Katherine Johnson and chemist Alice Ball as their trailblazing stories are told in "Little Leaders". Or jump on a rocket ship and explore the stars with Mae Carol Jemison in "Mae Among the Stars", as she follows her dreams to become the first African American woman to travel in space.
These books are rich with historical significance, extraordinary stories and teachable moments to ensure our little ones develop a better understanding of diversity and inclusivity.
- The ABC's of Black History by Rio Cortez
- Black Is a Rainbow Color by Angela Joy
- Bedtime Bonnet by Nancy Redd
- Mae Among the Stars by Roda Ahmed
- Young, Gifted, and Black by Jamia Wilson
- Ambitious Girl by Meena Harris
- Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History by Vashit Harrison
- The Youngest Marcher: The Story of Audrey Faye Hendricks, a Young Civil Rights Activist by Cynthia Levinson
- I Am A Promise by Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
- Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment by Parker Curry and Jessica Curry
"Let us remember and honor the Black lives that have come before us, the ones who are currently paving the way, and the little leaders whose dreams are never too big. Black lives matter all year long." - Sarah Kamya, Founder of Little Free Diverse Libraries
Super Smalls continues to support our friends at Little Free Diverse Libraries, and you can too! Visit the organization’s Amazon Wishlist to donate directly, or follow along on Instagram at @littlefreediverselibraries to join and support Sarah as she amplifies Black voices and Black stories!